Beginning of this week, I found an interesting article on silence on Uplift. Writer Azriel ReShel allowed me to refer to it from our blog – thank you Azriel. I invite you to read the full article but let me already highlight some interesting points here:
- Living in a consistently noisy environment will cause you to experience extremely high levels of harmful hormones.
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) concluded that the 340 million residents of Western Europe were losing a million years of healthy life every year, due to noise.
- WHO also said that the root cause of 3,000 heart disease deaths was due to excessive noise.
- Science has the proof not only that noise hurts, but also that silence heals.
- The brain recognizes silence and responds powerfully. Two hours of silence per day prompts cell development in the hippocampus, the brain region related to the formation of memory, involving the senses.
- Silence helps new cells to differentiate into neurons, and integrate into the system. When we experience silence, our brains are able to work at better understanding our internal and external environments. We can make sense of our lives and gain perspective, something that is vital for our overall well-being.
- The healing benefits of nature and stillness are well documented, but now we can add to this quest for health and well-being, the nourishment of our brains. The simple yet ancient experience of silence could be just the healing balm we need to quell our crazy modern lifestyle.